A Lesson in Beauty

    While babysitting last week I had an interesting conversation with four year old L after I had finished doing her hair......
"Leana, do I look beautiful?"
"You always look beautiful L."
"Really?"
"Yes, as long as you smile you will always be beautiful"
    She smiles a couple times, and then pauses
"But what about other people?"
"What do you mean?"
"What about people who can't smile?"
"Do you mean if their face is distorted or some thing?"
    I wasn't exactly sure she knew what the word distorted meant, but it didn't seem to stop her.
"Ya"
    I was thinking to myself, "holy cow this kid is smart"
    I was expecting her to just agree that a smile makes you beautiful
"Okay, well, beauty isn't really some thing you see on the outside, beauty is on the inside."
"But my insides are all bloody"
"Not literally. Your heart needs full of beauty."
"Like what"
"What do you think are some beautiful things that you can't see inside people?"
"Love, and sharing, being good. Not fighting with G. and giving lots of hugs. And God. God makes us beautiful."
   Well said.
"That's right, so now do you understand? You are always beautiful."
   I didn't know four year olds could be that smart......
 

Comments