Christmas Break Day 8

In our house my bedroom is positioned next to the garage. Right outside my bedroom window is an access door from the the garage to the outside. The wall that my bed is against the wall with the window. I can often hear when people come in and out through either the large garage doors or the side door. 
(this information is setting you up for my story.)

So last night I went to bed nice and early (10:30) but since I've been getting so much sleep lately, with Christmas break and all that, I was tossing and turning for about an hour. 
I was lying there when suddenly the door starts rattling. 
I froze. 

Oh man, who's out there, what are they trying to do?

It keep rattling and then this person began to ram their whole weight into shouldering the door open.

This moment was absolutely terrifying for me. As a young child I witnessed many crimes of various degrees, but rarely did I fear for my safety as I did right then.

My bed was shaking from such brute force. 

Please don't be able to break in. Please don't...

And then,


They stopped. 


Just like that.  




Cautiously I waited a few seconds, then peered out my window. 

I couldn't see much. It was a little dark and there were shadows cast all over the driveway. 

It some what looked as if there was a person crouching in front of our van, but I couldn't be sure because I couldn't see it at the right angle. 

I came out of my bedroom and walked down the hall way, Mom called from downstairs, "Was that an earthquake?"

Oh! An earthquake! That would be logical! 

So after grabbing a snack for comfort food (I was shaking considerably from the idea of having our house broken into) I went back to bed, but not before double checking that shadow near the van. 

It was still there so I figured all was good. 



___________



Today the news and social media is filled with news of the earthquake. 
4.3 magnitude near Vancouver Island.

I remember another earthquake way back in 2001, on Mom's birthday. 
She was on the phone, I was on the kitchen counters and suddenly the chandelier in the dinning room began swaying. 

I don't remember shaking, like last night, just swaying. 

But yeah, that made for an interesting night. 





Our morning and afternoon have been a little less eventful - thankfully. 

Mom went to the doctor's again this morning. 

We ran some errands in town and picked up fast food for lunch (it's the holidays, no big deal, right? :P ). 

The girls had a terrible love-hate relationship all afternoon which was rather frustrating at most times.
And the boys went to the park to play soccer and climb trees. 



Ethan did what he does best, watched people play soccer online. 







Nadia really wanted to take a picture of her bunny for me to post on my blog. 
"In your baby section, you know?"

She was rather upset with how it turned out though because, "That's not the colour my blanket is and now people will think I have a purple blanket when it's really pink."


So, disclaimer; 
***The blanket is actually pink.***


Auntie H called today and said she was getting impatient. 
And Auntie, we get you. 
We're impatient too!!!!
(Mom more than most of us probably)

Today is mine and Peter's guessed date. 

Mom's belly is huge and we're not sure how much longer before it'll pop!


Stay tuned!



Comments

  1. That's freaky! Did you have any hard objects to use as a potential weapon? I mean pillow might work, but if you miss it's just kind of awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too afraid to think of that...
      My first instinct was to yell very loudly for Dad...

      Delete
  2. That sounds reasonable :) Anything fall off the shelves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope :P But I heard that some people were shaken out of their beds. We just got the weak end of it - thankfully

      Delete

Post a Comment