STK

July 2nd, 1996 - July 29th, 2016

Last week the LORD called home to Himself our young cousin Sawyer. 
Sawyer was killed in a work related accident Friday July 29th, around 8:30am when the lawn mower he was driving slipped into a lake and he was pinned underneath. He was kept on life support until later that evening when Taylor could come back from a trip to Montreal to say goodbye.

There were many things I’ve thought to post here, many I’ve written but they most likely will stay unpublished, but I figure now the best is just to keep things simple.

Sawyer was simple. He wasn’t a complex person and I think that’s why he was loved and liked by so many people. He was easy to get along with and was more compassionate than most teenager guys I know. He was fun, adventurous and true.

Spring Dinner 2014
It’s a known fact that when my family moved in October of 2015 I very much did not to want to go. I protested this out loud and on my own. I endured it out loud and on my own and I accepted it out loud and on my own.

There is a memory still fresh in my mind from the first Young People’s Ring Kring of the 2015/16 season. Sawyer came up to be afterwards, gave me a hug and asked how I was doing. “Scared,” I said in regards to our upcoming move.
“Scared? Why would you be scared?” He asked, still hugging me.
“I don’t know…” Tighter hug.
“Well we’ll be going to church together then and you’ll see me every week. What’s not to like about that?”
“But where will I sit? There’s no room?” (it's a known fact that Langley church has too many members for its seating capacity)
“I can make room for you, or you can sit on my lap. Just don’t be scared about it, okay?”
“Okay.” End hug. “Thanks Sawy.”
“Anytime.”

Sawyer’s hugs were therapeutic. They were tight, warm and meaningful. He came on the day of our move to help. I can’t actually say he helped with the unpacking too much. But he gave me a hug. And asked how I was doing.

Sadly, I can’t say I remember receiving another Sawyer hug since that day except for my grad. It’s odd to think that hugging him in the congratulating line would have been the last. It makes me consider hugging people a little harder and putting a little more thought into it because I never know when it might be the last hug.


I'm not sure what more to say so I guess it's goodnight for now.


Comments