Goals (not resolutions) for 2017

Now that we're 8% of the way into 2017 I've decided to share my goals for the new (or not-so-new) year. 

Many people know that I can, quite often, be very legalistic when it comes to definitions and for that reason (and a few others) I did not set any New Year's Resolutions for myself coming into 2017. 

  Wait, what?

Google wonderfully defines a New Year's Resolution as,
 "A tradition, most common in the Western Hemisphere but also found in the Eastern Hemisphere, in which a person resolves to change an undesired trait or behaviour."

Since I don't have any undesirable traits or behaviours I wish to change (*UNDERSTATEMENT*[please read through the lines and sense the sarcasm there]) I looked into coming up with just some resolutions for 2017, but the definition of a resolution is,
"A firm decision to do or not to do something."
And a lot of commitment comes along with that, and since life can be very unpredictable most of the time I've now resolved to set myself some goals (The object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result) for this coming year. 




So what are my goals for 2017?

*DISCLAIMER*

These are all subject to change when they are accompanied with a valid reason. 


1. Get a new job! 
 Hold on!!! 
 What? 
 We thought you loved working at Chipotle?
Yes, I do! It's an awesome place to be, but the inconsistent hours and scheduling are not my thing. I get paid well to work there, but even if I just got minimum wage working 40hrs Monday through Friday I'd be better off. 
And I've been told I could potentially get promoted to a management position, but even with the raise involved I would still have the hours I have now (possibly less, actually) and I would be working even more inconsistent shifts. Closing one night, opening the next morning, for instance. 
So yeah, I'm just looking quietly looking around at the moment. 

2. Take a course! 
Any course! I'm hoping to take the Food Safe course at the end of January, but I'd love to take a course which'll help me become more employable for future positions of any sorts. Any office-y jobs, human resources, management. I'm not totally sure, but I want to keep my options open. 
I've always wanted to look into event planning, but office admin might make the most sense for me right now. 

3. Save $10,000.
  Whu-- Hou-- What? If you're working shouldn't you make $10,000? 
Well yes, but I want to set aside $10,000 into a separate account by the end of 2017. Considering my only current expenses are rent, church tithe, and my occasional contribution to gas for the car and the rare coffee with a friend, I'm planning for this to be very achievable. So far I've got $920 set aside and we'll see how well it goes.

4. Go hiking! 
Since climbing Mt. Frosty in 2013 I've wanted to do it again.  
As well as:
Mt. Cheam
The Grouse Grind
The Chief
Mt. Thom
Dog Mountain
St. Mark’s Summit
Diez Vistas
Sumas Mountain
Hayward Lake
Elk Mountain
The Abby Grind
Now I know I won't be able to get all of these, but I'm hoping at least two or three. In a perfect world, I won't be working on Saturdays come Spring/Summer and then the probability of me actually getting out into the wild will increase.  

5. Volunteer Someplace. 
Since graduating I've ceased to volunteer with SALT and the end of 2016 was also the end of my volunteering for the FVYPL. I've wanted to help with the Hope for Children Thrift Store that Langley Church runs, but they are only open when I'm working and so that's not really a great option. I'm currently a leader for Langley Church's young peoples Bible study, but I'm not able to be as involved with that as I'd like to be. 

***UPDATE***

This is a complete list of Goals for 2017


   1. Get a new job! -DONE!
   2. Take a course! -DONE!
   3. Save $10,000! - DONE!
   4. Climb a mountain! -DONE!
   5. Volunteer Someplace!
   6. Blog 100 posts! - DONE! 
   7. Get engaged! -DONE! 
   8. Get a phone! -DONE!
   9. Delete Facebook! 
 10. Become better at running! 

Comments

  1. Sounds achievable to me and with your dedication and determination I'm
    sure you can do it (disclaimer: Lord Willing of course!!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment