3 Reasons Why I Don't Have My Ears Pierced

I've been cleaning through sections of my bedroom these past few days and came across 14 sets of earrings I have received as gifts over the years but have never used since I don't have my ears pierced.
Nadia saw the earrings and has been going on about how she wants to get her ears pierced. She asked me why I don't have my ears pierced so I gave her a quick rundown. 

Here is the longer version of said rundown:


1. My parents never pierced them for me.

Why not? You wouldn't have remembered the pain if they had just done it for you as a baby. 

Well, they didn't really feel comfortable making body modification decisions in lieu of my adult consent, thanks. 🙂

My Dad had always said that it was my body and I should consciously be able to make the choice for myself (thanks Dad!). 



2. My boyfriend likes how things are. 

I've asked Will a couple of times if he'd want to get earrings or if it was weird that I didn't have pierced ears. But apparently he likes me just the way I am 😊 unpierced.


3. I don't really want to. 

Yeah, I've thought about it. Seriously considered getting them done sometimes, but when it comes down to it, the only reason I want earrings is so that I'd be like everyone else. Which honestly isn't a good reason. 

I remember a friend getting her ears pierced when she turned 10 and she asked me when I was going to get mine done. And it was then that I first really understood that I was different than other girls my age... 

I have never been made fun of due to it, but I can get a lot of interesting reactions. Piercings, and not just of the ears, have become so prevalent in our society and for me to be completely unpierced seems odd to some people. 

I don't see anything wrong with the fact that I don't have/want any extra holes/dents/stretching/markings on my body that God didn't give me. 

Also, the idea of it hurting to get them pierced and the fact that it's a permanent procedure scares me. 





Comments