Girl vs Pinterest: Baked Churro Edition



Ingredients:

1 cup water
1 ½ Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour

For the Coating:
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon butter for brushing



How I did it: 
-Place in a pan on the stove top: water, sugar, oil and salt until everything was dissolved and boiling
-Added flour and stirred until thoroughly combined
-Let the mixture cool for a a few minutes while I cleaned the kitchen a bit
- Tried to prettily pipe star-shaped churros like Pinterest said, but our star tip is too small for the thickness of the dough so I ended up just hand rolling long tubes of churro-goodness.
-Placed the uncooked churros on a cookie sheet with parchment paper
-Stuck in the oven on 400℉ for about 10 minutes, until the tips started to brown. 
-Set the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes to brown the rest of the churro, while carefully watching to prevent burning. 
-Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. 
-Roll each churro in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. 
-Enjoy!!!



Things I did wrong/differently: 
-Since we're gluten-free over here I used white rice flour as well as some xanthan gum
-The sizes of my churros were all over the place. I had 2 really cute star shaped ones, some 1/4", 1/2" and some 1" thick churros. I kept the larger ones in longer, just to make sure they were cooked long enough. 
-We also don't do sugar in our house (crazy, I know), so all we had was brown sugar and that was used then for the coating.


Were they good? 
Personally, I wasn't a fan of them. But Mom, Ben and Nadia (maybe some more, I haven't quizzed everyone) said they were awesome! 
The thinner ones definitely tasted better than the thicker ones. 

Would I do it again? 
I think so. 

What would I do differently next time? 
I'd like to try it without the xanthan gum because I think that'll help the dough not be so tough and easier to pipe with our size star tip. 


Comments