Goals for 2018

Happy December! 

I can't believe we're here already! This year has flown by in such a crazy swirl of people, places, and who knows what else (food, maybe?). So many things have happened in the past 11 months (stay tuned for a 2017 Highlight post) but I have to actually take a moment to remember what exactly all happened. When Will and I talked about getting married in December of this year it seemed to be far in the distant future. Little did I know how fast time would go by! 




Before I get completely lost in the business of December I wanted to set a list of goals for 2018. I found that coming up with a list for myself for 2017 was really helpful for me to look forward to and to feel accomplished by. 

For 2018 I have another list with 10 goals. 6 are brand new. 1 is a repeat. And 3 are revised goals from 2017 that I didn't really get to but would like to give another shot at. 



1. Save Money for a House!
Will and I want to buy a house. I don't feel like this an un-achievable goal for us to have. We both know it won't happen in 2018 but when we tell our friends that we're hoping to buy a house within 2 years, very few are supportive. Most people seem a little surprised, and then say that all familiar line, "Well, good luck." 
Yes, the housing market in the Fraser Valley is a complete gong-show. 
No, neither of us is making $100,000 a year.
Yes, we want to raise a family and live off one income. 
No, we don't think it is impossible. 
We wanna prove people wrong. Not for the sake of proving people wrong, but because we'd love to buy a house. To have something to call our own.

2. Overnight in the woods!
I imagine this being done either as an overnight hike or a 4x4 trip. The one thing holding me back about doing an overnight hike is the fact that you've gotta carry all your gear with you.
Once we get to the new year Will hopes to have more time to work on the Jeep we bought a while back. We've got big ideas and some great friends who are just as excited to head up into the mountains for a weekend trek.

3. Food challenge!
Pretty soon I'm going to be living all alone with Will and between the two of us we'll have to come up with meals to eat. I want to try something similar to the recipe challenge in the film Julie and Julia where Julie went through Julia Child's cook book making 524 recipes in 365 days. I'm not planning to do a daily thing and I won't necessarily blog everyday about what I make, but I do want to make a point of working my way through a recipe book. 

4. Dream Big!
This is a very vague goal, and sort of like setting a goal to have another goal, but I've got a couple of ideas of what it could look like.
I want to leave room for excitement and surprise. And I'll be sure to blog about it when I'm "Dreaming Big!"

5. Plant a Garden! - DONE
Juicy fresh summer berries and earthy fall vegetables. How perfect is that?
Will and I have a wonderful little quarter acre property which is just itching to be tilled. There's even a small corner patch that doesn't have grass but I haven't had a chance yet to inspect what the soil is like there. Even though we don't really know how long we'll  be staying in the house we're at right now, we'd love to invest a little time and love into a garden and get to enjoy its harvest.

6. Set aside time to read!
I can't tell you the title of the last book I read. It's been a while. A very long while. 
During high school I read a lot. On the bus, during free blocks, after school, late at night. I even got a literature award in grade 12, and I'm pretty sure that's because I spent so much time in the library talking with the librarians. 😝 I miss reading though. I simply feel like I don't have any time to read. And that's why I want to have this as my goal. To to make time for reading. 

7. Blog 100 posts!
I really liked this challenge last year and would love to keep it up! 
My life has changed drastically in these past 12 months and having more blog posts to look back and remember things with is always helpful! It's also a good incentive for me to make the effort to sit down and blog. 
You can also count on the blog layout changing more too as I'm still trying to find something I'm happy with. 


8. Take a Hike!
Between my whack-job of a work schedule and both of our busy lives, Will and I managed get out on 3 hikes during Summer 2017. Just one of of those were listed in my original suggestions but I'd still like to check out the others. 
So I'm carrying them forward to 2018 in hopes we'll get around to a few of them.


Mt. Cheam
The Grouse Grind
Mt. Thom
Dog Mountain
St. Mark’s Summit
Diez Vistas
Sumas Mountain
Hayward Lake
Elk Mountain
The Abby Grind

Who knows what 2018 will have in store for us, but I'd really like to be able to do some more exploring.


9. Become more psychically fit!
I made a goal for myself in 2017 to become better at running. I worded it as such because I didn't want to complete a marathon or get up at 5:00am every morning to go for a run. Just something basic that would still give me incentive. 
While I was working at Chipotle I usually had a weekday off and often 2 afternoons a week off as well. During the spring and summer months I did a pretty decent job of using that time to hit the pavement every once in a while. 
My biggest thing with running though, is that I get so bored
I'm setting this goal simply to become more fit. This isn't necessarily a goal that has an obvious completion, but we'll see how it goes.

10. Volunteer Someplace!
Ha! I still haven't managed to commit to volunteering anywhere. I've done a few little things over the past year, but I'd really like to form a routine that I can stick to. Getting engaged, being sick, and then getting a new job have all really messed with the routine that I had heading into 2017. Hopefully a few months into 2018 I'll have things together much better and be able to explore my options in a new neighbourhood. 


-------


There you have it. 
A complete list of my goals for 2018. You can expect me to blog about when/how I accomplish them. 

Here's to ending 2017 on a good note!






“Every choice you make has an end result.” – Zig Ziglar




Comments