Where Does My Help Come From?

This past Sunday Will and I were able to bring Delilah to church to receive the sign and seal of holy baptism (pictures from that day to come at some point in the future). 
Our pastor asked us to pick which song the congregation would sing after the baptism. I wanted something different, something unique. Not the same three songs from our Book of Praise which are most commonly sung at baptisms. 

What came to mind was Hymn 64, which is Lord's Day 1 put to music;

"What is in life and death my only aid, my comfort when I am by troubles swayed?
I am not mine, by Christ's, who fully paid for all my sins and saved me.
His precious blood for my offenses gave He. 
Freed me from all the devil's power and slavery, for in the book of life God did engrave me and me His own He made. 
My faithful Saviour keeps me in his care; without my Father's will cannot a hair fall from my head; he shall for me prepare a heavenly habitation. 
All things must serve to further my salvation. 
His Holy Spirit brings me consolation; He makes me willing now with dedication in hope His yoke to bear."

I love this hymn and how it reminds me of the promises God gives us. 
To me and now to Delilah. 
It's easy to lose focus of where we should be putting our faith and hopes. 
And it is very important to have constant reminders that it is okay for things to feel out of our control - because God is in control. He always has been and always will be. 

So that's the song I had in the back of my head to use. I wanted to think on it a bit more and make sure it would be appropriate for a baptism. But then when the pastor asked us on Thursday afternoon for our choice I was in the middle of having company over and there was not enough time to re-think and over-think my choice. 
That's how we ended up with Hymn 56. Loving Shepherd of Thy Sheep. 
A no-fail, traditional baptismal song. 
Still a great hymn. 
And I teared up while singing it so obviously it was still impactful. 

Maybe we'll use Hymn 64 next time. 😛



Comments