Delilah's Birth

It's a short, and fairly simple story, but here's the PG run down on how Delilah got here from my point of view:

My contractions started around 1:30am on Sunday morning. For the first few hours they varied in distance- anywhere from 2 to 7 minutes apart. And they lasted for 30 seconds. 
Since they were only 30seconds long the hospital told me it was early labour and just to wait at home until they were lasting a minute.  
Around 5:15am I called my mom, who was planned to be with us for the birth. Mom suggested I eat something, take a shower, and go from there. 
After cooking up a scrabbled egg, taking a shower, and braiding my hair, my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and much more painful than earlier. But they still were only lasting 30seconds.
At 6:45am I called the hospital again but heard the same thing as before, "Wait at home until they last a minute." 
At 7:15 I was in the kitchen with Will getting ready to pick up Mom because we made an executive decision that despite what the nurses said, this baby was coming. While in the kitchen, I had to push. Twice. Called Mom again and decided she would meet us at the hospital. 
We got to the hospital just around 8:00. 
The lady ahead of us at the pay parking meter was taking fooorrreeevvveeerrr. I was just about to suggest to Will that we skip paying for parking and head upstairs when she finally finished. I had a contraction in the elevator too, but for the sake of the other three people in there with us I was able to very silently get through it by squeezing the life out of Will's hand. Sorry, Hun. 
The lady at reception wasn't too pleased that we came with such short contractions. She kept asking questions and was joking with me about the picture on my drivers licence. I'm sure it's normal or procedure or whatever, but I was not impressed. 
While I was standing there I had to push again and a nurse passing by looked at me and said, "You're gonna have a baby! Come this way!" So I got raced over to a room. 
I am so thankful for that lady for believing me! 
Mom showed up just as they were quickly setting everything up - I was worried for a bit that she'd miss it! 
They pulled a doctor who was just about to start a c-section, and a few contractions later she was out!
I don't remember the exact time we arrived at the hospital, but we were there for such a short period of time before Delilah was born.


The following photos are from several different people and I've done my best to put them in chronological order.

Just seconds old. 
Look at all her rolls!

We did it!

Her hands and feet were HUGE!
Much more proportionate now, thankfully.

Dee with her grandma

Will, making the good-news phone calls




Dr. Mahungu checking Delilah out after she had completed her c-section. 
Poor lady was busy that morning!

Proud Grandpa.

Since Delilah was born at 8:30 on a Sunday morning we were able to call people as they were getting ready to leave for church. And having everyone off at church meant we didn't have our first visitors arrive until after first service was finished.

Dad came with all my siblings as soon as they were done church, and then it was a pretty consistent stream of people afterwards.

Uncle Ethan

Little hand

With Grandpa and Great-Grandma

Excited aunts and uncle

The night before, Ben was snuggling with me, rubbing my belly and telling the baby, "Pop out, Baby. Pop out!"
Considering how fast things went, it sorta felt like she just popped out!

Feeling a lot of shock and disbelief that after all that time our baby is here!

Will kindly assumed my role as photographer and captured many precious moments of me with Delilah. 






Check out all the hair she's got!


Veronica had a basket ball game in Manitoba on Saturday night and with the time differences I was able to text with her at 4:30am BC time. When we called her on Sunday morning she was on a layover in Calgary, and once her plane landed here she came straight over.



Huggies is smart to include FRONT and BACK labeling on their newborn diapers for first time parents who haven't got a clue how to diaper a baby. 😝

Oma

Opa

Uncle Chris

My old co-worker Kristin came as well. She was one of the only people who thought we were having a girl.





By the evening Delilah had already pooped through her onesie and so was dressed in the onesie we had packed for if we had a baby boy. 

Great Grandparents. ♥

Trying to catch some sleep. I had been awake since 1:30am and although there was adrenaline, I was definitely feeling tired.

Great Auntie






Comments