C.S. Lewis

"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in The Gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are halfhearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us. Like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot image what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
-C.S. Lewis-
I've had this quote sitting in my draft bin for longer than I can remember (spring of 2018 possibly...?). I found it on Pinterest and it really spoke to me so I wanted to write about it. But lo and behold I find myself with little to no time to wash dishes or laundry, let alone to set aside time and write.

But this afternoon our pastor at church included this same quote in his sermon. He paired it along with 1 Peter 2:1-12 and also discussed the sins of the flesh as are mentioned in Galatians 5:19-21:
"The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

At Bible study this past week we discussed God's amazing power of forgiveness, and how our weaknesses can bring God all the more glory. We shared some of the hardest things we've experienced in our lives. We touched on the same things Lewis quotes; halfheartedness, drunkedness, sexual desires, selfish ambition, ignorance, and the like. I was choking on my words as I spoke then, and Pastor Will's sermon today brought me to tears (glad to have been watching the live stream at home with my sick baby).

It's honestly so humbling to see how all things work together under God's almighty hand and how he orchestrates all the events of our lives. Fighting against the devil's temptation to sin is nothing easy and certainly nothing we can do on our own. To find myself in a week where there is so much encouragement all around is truly providential.

Here's the link to Pastor Will's sermon, I'll embed it tomorrow when I've got time.

https://www.facebook.com/langleycanrc/videos/388583955250830/



The morning's sermon was on prayer and I won't share anything on that, but would highly suggest listening to Rev. Visscher's words on this topic.






"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him."
Psalm 18:30 and 2 Samuel 22: 31

Comments