My Plan For Me.

It's all too easy to praise God in the good times and leave him with questions in the hard times.

This week we had our year-end BBQ and wrapped up Bible study for this season. Our two topics of study were 'Faith: What are you hoping for?' as well as 'Jonah: You can't out run God's grace.' Both studies were by Paul Tripp, and both were extremely convicting.

Since September when we began our studies Will and I have been making lots of plans and hoping for lots of things. Our priorities in life, relationships with each other and with other people, and trust in God have all been challenged. Put through the wringer, as some might say. And not only by the study questions but by God testing us in ways that truly made us understand the Bible passages we read.

We've been doing our best to put into practice the things we've learned these past months.

Two examples that I can quickly think of are:

1) One night I was very upset about something that happened because I had wanted it to go my way but God had other, better plans for me. Will kindly reminded me of Jonah 4:4 (which is now commonly quoted within our household). The verse is what God says to Jonah as he's having a temper tantrum because God was gracious to Nineveh but Jonah wanted it to be destroyed. Jonah gets so upset that he says he wants to die because there's nothing worth living for anymore. And then, verse 4, 'But the Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry?”'

2) The other example is from another time when I was really wanting something to go my way and turn in my favour. Will sat me down and said, "If it is going to then we praise God and rejoice. And if it isn't...."
"Then we praise God and rejoice." I continued, but obviously frustrated he was making me admit it out loud.

It's hard to want to praise God when things don't go according to my plan.

I wish I could end by saying that I've got it all under my belt after these studies and I put 100% of my trust in God's plan 100% of the time, but I don't.

It's a constant, uncomfortable struggle in the process of sanctification.


Psalm 47 is my favourite psalm because it calls us to praise God for so many reasons.
It encourages me to continue in praise when I am being humbled by God. 


Clap your hands, all you nations;
shout to God with cries of joy.

For the Lord Most High is awesome,
the great King over all the earth.
He subdued nations under us,
peoples under our feet.
He chose our inheritance for us,
the pride of Jacob, whom he loved.

God has ascended amid shouts of joy,
the Lord amid the sounding of trumpets.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;
sing praises to our King, sing praises.
For God is the King of all the earth;
sing to him a psalm of praise.

God reigns over the nations;
    God is seated on his holy throne.
The nobles of the nations assemble
    as the people of the God of Abraham,
for the kings of the earth belong to God;
    he is greatly exalted.

Ps 47

Comments