What Can I Throw Away Today?

Will and I have been on a long journey of cutting down on useless things/items/clutter/crap that we own. Moving was a great catalyst for this and we're gaining momentum.

We are part of such a wonderful community which donates, resells, and passes things along very generously. We are very grateful to have been able to start off and fill our house for quite a discounted price! But it also means that we have A LOT of items which have a questionable purpose in our home and are simply here because they were, "Such a good deal!"

Is a good deal on something you don't need really such a good deal?

Just this Sunday at church Will and I had someone come up to us and offer to give us a very expensive piece of baby furniture. We glanced quickly at each other and then declined in unison.

(Which I was relieved about because for a second there I wasn't sure if he'd turn down the offer or not.)

Good deal or not, we're trying to clean up and be more intentional about what enters into our house.

Throwing Things Away
The title of this post is a little deceiving.

Depending on what items we're talking about, I usually try first to resell if it's something we bought. If there's no interest there, or it was something that was given to us, then I'll donate to some of my favourite places within our community. If it's too used and worn to be donated then I'll recycle it. I only will throw away items that cannot be recycled (which is just about nothing! Do your research!).

To Recap:
    a) Resell
    b) Donate
    c) Recycle
    d) Throw Away

3 Things That I Purged Today:

1. Delilah's Toys
I remember when my mom used to do this to/with me and my brothers... Now here I am recycling and donating Delilah's toys while she naps. 🙈

What: Toys that she doesn't play with, toys that aren't part of a set, broken toys.

Why: Between all the people who kindly have given us toys when they were cleaning out their own homes and Delilah's birthday and Christmas upcoming, she's got more toys than really is necessary.

2. My Clothes
Since moving Will and I have more than DOUBLED our closet space, but we've also more than HALVED our wardrobe. I share half my closet with Delilah's clothes, and we store all our extra blankets and pillows (trust me, that's a lot!) on the other shelves. I should take a picture someday...

What: So MANY THINGS! You name it, I've donated it. Tops, bottoms, and socks. Way too many pairs of socks... 😶 I told myself that if I wouldn't be willing to wear it today, I'd nix it. And so I'm down 2.5 laundry baskets of clothing.

Why: Will and I are both working on keeping a minimal wardrobe.  After having Delilah I lost a bunch of weight and ended up buying a lot of smaller clothes but I hadn't gotten rid of the larger sizes.
I have also been holding onto a whole ton of maternity clothes sizes XS-XXL with the mentality that one day I might be able to use them. Now I only have clothes that fit.
What an idea!

3. Kitchen Utensils
We have three catch-all drawers of utensils. Some items are our everyday forks and knives, others range from a melon baller (had to explain that one to Will), to a cheese slicer, to an icing knife, to a soup laddle, to slurpee straws.
Some things are helpful and useful, others we won't miss.

What: ALL THE WOODEN SPOONS, two veggie peelers, potato masher, salad tongs.

Why: Wooden spoons are disgusting. Don't argue me on that one. For some reason we had six and I think we've used them 2-3 times.
We had four vegetable peelers. I kept two because they are very different from each other and I use one for just about everything and the other is specifically great for yams.
The potato masher we had was so cheap that every time you pushed down on it to mash, it would fold in on itself. I just mash our potatoes with a fork.
We had a pair of salad tongs that were big and bulky and we don't use. G'bye!

----------

Follow the rest of my purging journey here: The Purge

Comments