Locked Out!

 As I've mentioned before, we are slowly working away at our to-do list. One of the things we recently got done was replacing our front door handle and lock since our previous handle has been missing for the last few weeks and the deadbolt had quite an attitude for when it wanted to lock or unlock. 
So two Saturdays ago now Will purchased a whole new system and wonderfully got it installed. 
We had a front door with a handle and a lock that we could use whenever we deemed necessary. 
Well, it also turns out that the new deadbolt turns into the 'locked' position much easier than our previous one, and our sweet little daughter has learned this. 

On Monday evening I went outside to bring Will a cup of coffee and when I came back I found the door locked. 
Sigh. 
I tried to talk Delilah through unlocking the door but the poor girl was in tears and just wanted me to come in the house. Will began picking the lock but our neighbour also saw what was going on and brought a tall ladder over so Will could climb through an open window and get in that way. 
We then gave Delilah a lesson in 'lock' 'unlock' 'lock' 'unlock' and explained that the lock isn't something to be played with. 

Then on Wednesday we came home from Coffee Break. Our friend S had fallen asleep in the car so I brought Delilah and William upstairs and got them set up with cheese and mandarins for the beginnings of lunch and then went back down to get S. 
When I was coming up the stairs I could hear Delilah wailing from inside the house. 
The door was locked... 

I tried talking her through unlocking it. 
I got her to grab my keys from the counter and tried getting her to open the window and drop them out. She could unlock the window, but turns out the window doesn't slide smoothly enough for a almost 3yro to open. A good thing on a normal day, disappointing when we're locked outside. 

At the 30 minute mark I texted my neighbour to see if they were home and could get that ladder again. 
Unsuccessful attempt.

I was so grateful I had my phone with me this time because on Monday Will and I both had left our phones in the house! 

I checked around the property for a stray ladder to use to get up to the window. 
I found a reeeally long piece of wood that I tried to use to pry the window open, but as Delilah had proved before, the window was quite difficult to slide. 

At the 55 minute mark I called my mom. She sent my dad over and I kid you not, within 1 minute he had talked Delilah into unlocking the door! 
 ðŸ˜†


Now taking bets on whether or not I've learned my lesson 🙃


Comments