First Trimester Professional?

Does completing a first trimester for the fifth time make me a professional? 
A friend recently called me a pro at this, and I know she was being encouraging and supportive but I feel far from it! 
If you go off the "10,000 hours to be an expert" rule, and there are 168hrs in a week, multiplied by the 10 weeks from conception at week 2 to the end of week 12 and that's 1680hrs of being pregnant in one first trimester of pregnancy. So technically by the sixth pregnancy I should be feeling like an expert with then 10,080hrs of first trimester experience.

Here's a photo journal I've kept following along on our fifth time working through a first trimester. Despite me being the most exhausted I have been in all our pregnancies and having comparable nausea to our last pregnancy, we were the most supported by our community these weeks and it is such a blessing to look back and see how we had a delicious dinner each day that I didn't have to make or organize myself. The meals just kept coming.  
God has blessed us richly! 

4 weeks
I was so excited to take this picture in preparation for watching my body be home to another sweet little baby. 


5 weeks

At 5.5 weeks I slept a whole afternoon away and at 4pm felt my nausea started to kick in... Which is the earliest I've felt morning sicknesses as with the previous four pregnancies it didn't hit until 7wks. 
So. Terribly. Tired. 
But so very happy. 


6 weeks! 
Suddenly the belly is showing itself. So thrilled! 

This was a Sunday and aside from Will waking me up to eat breakfast and lunch, I slept straight until 1:30pm! I couldn't believe it. 
I have never felt this tired before. I have never understood the feeling of being so tired that you literally cannot get out of bed. I understand it now. It's painful. I would be in tears explaining to Will how I feel guilty for being so lazy but he is quick to assure me that I am building a new human and that requires huge amounts of my energy and that's okay. 

Lots of extra cuddles with the kids as I'm resting looots these days

Later in the same day, lying down again

I don't know why it took me five times to figure this out, but stocking the freezer full of meals to save for when the pregnancy nausea hits is the best idea ever. 

My first midwife appointment! 
This is our fourth baby in their care. ❤

I've had some not-so-nice acid this pregnancy and am finding that hot lemon water provides enough relief for me to sleep comfortably at night

I have developed a horrible aversion to bread. So weird but it's been absolutely grossing me out. Even just touching it. I haven't been able to make Will's lunches, or give the kids bread at lunch either. 

I've also been very cold, I guess most of my energy is going to build the baby and not to keep me warm. 

7 Weeks

We told the kids at 7 weeks. I had been so sick and tired and they were so suspicious. Both Delilah and William accused me multiple times of having a baby in my belly and I had to keep diverting or brushing off the questions. 
Will wrote on a piece of paper and had Delilah read out the surprise. It was a cute moment as a family and such a blessing for them to see how their prayers for another baby have been answered. 


This was at 10:45pm
Nothing was sounding good to eat but I needed so badly to eat and the only thing that sounded palatable was a chicken wrap. And Will didn't even hesitate before heading out to go pick one up for me. 
Unfortunately the wrap did not sit well in my tummy, but it tasted sooo good while I ate it and I was so very grateful for Will taking such good care of me. 

We'll see how long before the kids discover this drawer of treasures...

8 Weeks

9 weeks / 2 Months
Having a difficult time dressing for church while hiding this belly when it's still not public news. I told Will yesterday which was Sunday morning that I am going for 'cute and frumpy' and he said I nailed it. Thankful for cool weather where big sweaters and layers can work wonders at covering this growing baby.

10 weeks
Another meal brought over by our friends to help us get through the nausea slump. The five weeks already passed seem very long. It's difficult to remember that food can actually be appealing. Hopefully only two or so more weeks and then I'll be feeling better again! 

We got to see our baby! 
Such a relief to see this precious kiddo kicking and waving its arms. We got to see its heart beating away and its brain. 
I was in tears. 

The 'Promoted to big brother' shirt that William wore when we were pregnant with James now fits James which works perfectly as he will be a big brother soon! 


Ordered pizzas for dinner one night and I mistakenly selected green olives instead of green onions. We had a good chuckle about it being my pregnancy pizza because I have been snacking on green olives daily. 
The pizza was still very good, but not quite the same without the green peppers. Oops. 

Pulled out all my maternity clothes.
I find myself taking way more pictures of myself with this growing belly as I am just so thankful for it and learning to cherish every day we get with this little one. 

The kids have been loving the weekly updates of how big our baby is and what sort of developmental milestones it is working on each week. We've pulled out a ruler and kitchen scale a few times to find things that are the same length and weight of our baby that week. 

11 weeks
I just cannot get enough of this belly! 


12 weeks

Had our second midwife appointment this week. All was well! 
I got to hear our little one's heart beating. Music to my anxious ears! 
Also found out that my iron is the highest it has ever been in my adult life so my exhaustion can only be blamed on growing extra organs and bones, but also proves that all the diet changes and supplements I've been taking are in fact working. I just need some more sleep. 


Comments