Purging - Pt 2

We were so spoiled that Will was given two whole weeks off over Christmas. If it was up to him, Will would have gone fishing each and every single day! But I got smart and gave him a list of things I wanted/needed done around the house before he could fish. 😛

Most of the things on the list were cleaning out boxes of his stuff. Things that I didn't know if they had value or not, and things that I don't want to just purge through without his consent. He managed to clean out so many areas and I honestly don't even know what half of it was, but our back deck is full of things that need to be taken to the dump! I'm not even sure where it all came from!

While he was doing that, I felt very motivated to do my own deep cleaning. Below is just three categories of items we've parted ways with.

3 Things That We Purged:

1. The Bathroom
I'm pretty sure this was my fifth time cleaning out our bathroom in the past year. No joke. I remember doing it twice in our old house with Delilah around, then right before we moved, again as I unpacked, and last week again. And yet I am still surprised every time at all the new things I find I can get rid of!

What: Make up, toiletries, a whole ton of hair stuff.

Why: I've been storing so many things that I don't use and probably won't have a use for in the near future. I had way too much expired and unused make up that I had been holding onto for no reason. Free samples, fake eyelashes and some blue and purple eyeliner yet I don't even wear black eyeliner... Lots of perfumes, lotions, and hotel soap bottles that we don't and won't use. And I was keeping a lot of hair accessories, when I don't accessorize my hair...

2. Picture Frames / Wall Decor
When we moved in together Will and I each had roughly a dozen picture frames or other sorts of wall decor. Then with our engagement and wedding presents we got gifted even more. Since moving into our second home we've hung up a few pieces but have a box of frames sitting in storage, and 6 others standing up against the hall wall - where they've now been sitting (untouched) since July.
The only things we're keeping are items actually being used for decor, and 3 pieces of handmade work which we've gotten as gifts and I just haven't hung them up on the walls yet. (See photo)

What: Six empty picture frames, a canvas, five homemade works of art, and two plaques which we've never hung.

Why: We haven't had a use for them yet and probably won't in the foreseeable future. Some of the pieces just aren't 'us' or have a meaning like they once did.

3. Jackets
Since moving in July we have not opened our box of packed jackets! Because we moved carload by carload rather than packing everything into a truck, one day we just grabbed the armful of jackets we had hanging by the door in our old house and brought them over here. I have my grad jacket which is my go-to, and Will had two wind breakers, a work jacket, and then a winter jacket. All of the jackets in the closet got put into a box. Where they've stayed. Until now!

What: Inside our jacket box I had two jackets and Will had five, plus one of his dad's (not sure how or why...?).

Why: Neither of my two jackets fit over my belly, and are easily over eight years old. And I honestly don't know why Will has so many jackets... He got rid of all of them except his grad jacket, and his dad's jacket will hopefully make it over to their house soon.

----------

Find Part 1 of my purging journey here: What Can I Throw Away Today?


Comments