My Favourite Places to Donate Items to Within My Community

The urge to purge is still strong!

I've worked on a few areas of the house this week but wanted to briefly share where the majority of the items I'm passing on are going. As I mentioned in my first post about purging, I try to donate everything that is still in usable condition. And if I can't donate it then I'll recycle it one way or another.

I'm not even surprised anymore when I find more maternity clothes to pass on. 
They just seem to be coming out of everywhere!

My 3 Favourite Places to Donate Items to Within My Community:

1. Local mom groups on Facebook.
Who they are:
Moms all over the Fraser Valley. Some I know from church, and some are just people that I find online.

What I donate:
Anything and everything I don't have a need for. This is usually my first to try to donate.

Why I choose to donate here:
If someone needs something and they can just come pick it up from me, great! Saves me time bringing someplace.
Giving a donation directly into someone's hands sits a lot better with me than dropping a box of stuff off at Value Village or another big name thrift store where people then have to buy back those items.

2. Hope for Women Pregnancy Services
Who they are:
A pregnancy center in Langley and Abbotsford which offers a wide variety of services and resources for moms.

What I donate:
All things children and mom related! Maternity clothes, kids clothes, diapers, toys, etc. They are usually asking for diaper and stroller donations. I typically call ahead and ask if they're accepting XYZ, because it's happened before that they already had a large amount of what I was hoping to bring and they've only got so much room to store it all.

Why I choose to donate here:
If I am unable to find someone on Facebook who has a need for the items that I am giving away then I like to bring them to Hope for Women because I know that they'll be given to women who are in need of those things and can hugely benefit from them.

3. Hope for Children Thrift Store (their website is horrendous, please don't hold it against them)
Who they are:
A true non-for-profit thrift store in down town Langley which supports three orphanages in Mexico.

What I donate:
Everything that is donate-able! And that I cannot re-home to the first two places mentioned here.
My last drop off had kitchen items, books, home decor, knickknacks, some of Will's clothes, shoes, etc...

Why I choose to donate here:
My favourite reason for supporting this thrift store is that, with the exception of their director, they are completely volunteer based. They are able to keep their prices low and send the maximum of each dollar earned directly to Mexico.
What's also really neat is that they have an exchange student/mission-trip exchange sort of program with the people involved there. Once or twice a year some volunteers go to Mexico to help out at the orphanages there, and then some of the children and families in Mexico come to Canada and volunteer at the thrift store. So if you're in there as a shopper you can sometimes meet the people who you are directly impacting by your support! So cool!



Comments