2020 Goal Check In #2

This quarterly post is technically 8 days over due, maybe 9, depending on when I finish and get to posting it. I've been working on this update off and on since May, and more seriously in the last week of June, and more frustrated-ly in this past week.
Goals #2 and #10 have been stumping me and I've had some trouble getting my thoughts out. 
I believe it's important to set goals that are challenging. But being challenged can be painful and uncomfortable, and I'm a wuss. 

And with that intro, here is my second quarterly goal check in! 


My 2020 Goals and How They're Coming Along:

1. Blog About Goal Progress!
   - We are now halfway through the year and I am trying so hard to be intentional with this goal, so voila! Goal #1 is being accomplished by this post!  

2. Do Hard Things!
   - I rewrote many paragraphs several times for this section. All of which I erased because I was unsatisfied with how they came across. I felt like I was having to explain myself, trying to protect myself, and being too vague (see #4 where I learned about transparency this past quarter). 
   - Take these as you will, and without any explanations, here in alphabetical order are 10 hard things I've been working through:
       a. COVID-19
       b. Dreams that end in disappointments 
       c. Feelings of discontentment 
       e. Financial situation
       e. Having to stay in this rental
       f. Letting things go/Acceptance
       g. My root canal
       h. Patience 
       i. Respecting people I disagree with
       j. Uncertainty of the future

3. Exercise at Least Three Times a Week!
   - The kiddos and I have incorporated a daily walk (weather permitting) into our morning routine. Some days it's a saunter down the road and back; Delilah leading the way with her toddler strides, and other days I toss her in the stroller to power walk. But either way, we get out and get moving! I've also been trying to go out to a park at least once a week for a walk. 
  - I found out in April that my abs had not yet healed from pregnancy and I have diastasis recti- 👎 Boo! I have a set of very simple exercises I do to hopefully heal the ab separation. In the mean time I am being very mindful with my movements and more intentional about exercising through walking. 

4. Finish Reading Five Books!
   - I finished my first book! And then tumbled through two more! 
   The Danish Way of Parenting by Iben Dissing Sandahl - I received this book as a Christmas present and read it from January-April. It's a very practical book, which teaches the Danish parenting practices using the acronym PARENT - Play, Authenticity, Reframing, Empathy, No ultimatums and Togetherness.
   Happy Happy Happy by Phil Robertson - Will got this book several years ago and I opened it up in March in hopes for a light read. I finished the book in a few sittings, and as I told my parents, I was looking for a happy, happy, happy book, but got one that made me very sad, frustrated, and emotional. Robertson explains how he's become happy, happy, happy in life, but the path that's brought him there was very rough. 


Image may contain: text that says 'We live in a time when vulnerability is stylish but true transparency is exceedingly rare. Ryan and Selena Frederick See- e-Through Marriage'
   See-Through Marriage by Ryan and Selena Frederick - In the beginning of 2020 the hosts of my favourite marriage podcast (Fierce Marriage) asked for people to join the launch team for their newest book. I had the honour of reading a pre-released version of this easy-to-read marriage book. As the Fredericks put it themselves, "We’re here to point your eyes to Jesus to see your truest identity as one of God’s beloved children. Then, by reminding you of whose you are, we hope to point you down the path of transparency— in life and in your marriage."

5. Go on a Date with Will at Least Once a Month!
   - COVID-19 has put a damper on our date nights! In April we ordered in a meal, watched a movie and called it a date night. In May and June we didn't do anything fancy. We spent a lot of evenings together playing board games, puzzling, or just visiting, but it's not the same as a designated date night. With Phase 3 of the coronavirus reopening plan in place now we hope to be able to actually go out together in July. Our babysitter from down the street is moving though, so we'll have to find someone else! 

6. Make $200 Reselling Items That We Don’t Use!
   - My purging journey has taken a break and so has my selling of things. I've tried to sell a number of things, but after a week or so of having them up for sale I find it much easier to just donate them. Wanting items to move out of the house quickly is my downfall! I did manage to make $7 selling a handful of baby toys. That puts me at $73 total for this check in. 

7. Pay of 75% of Our Loan!
   - According to my financial spreadsheets we closed June owing 51% on our loan. We started 2020 at 30% paid, and now are at 49%. Which means from Jan-June we've gotten 19% paid, and if we repeat 19% for July-Dec that will have us end the year only having paid 68%. So currently we are off schedule to meet this goal. 😞 We'll have to wait and see how things map out at the end of the third quarter! 

8. Post 150 Times!
   - I ended June having 86 blog posts published which puts me right on track to meet this goal. It sure helps having two little kids who I love sharing about! 😀


9. Read Another Devotional with Will
   - At my first goal check in I mentioned that I'd wait until this quarter to comment on our new devotional. We are currently reading The One Year Love Language Minute Devotional by Gary Chapman and I've got to be honest in saying that it's not my favourite. Will now understands better the concept of love languages which I'm grateful for, but the the daily readings are not as deep/thought provoking as we'd like. There also aren't any discussion questions or prompts to go along with the readings. We'll often ask our own questions or comment on the paragraph but it's not the same as being directed to discuss a certain topic. If you're looking for a basic devotional so you can check that off your list, then this book is better than doing nothing. But if you're looking for a book to use for solid couple devotions, then this is not the book you're looking for. 

10. Stay Happy
   - As I mentioned above it's been a rough few months for me. There's been a lot going on. I am physically tired from having little kids; which (along with many other factors) throws off my emotional and mental state. Then add feeling spiritually off (COVID-19 limiting corporate worship) to the mix and it can be hard to feel happy all the time. 
   - On a whole though, I am truly happy. Honestly. Because I can rest in the truth that through everything God is good. All the time.

Comments

  1. You know the saying "We're all in this together"? It can seem so cliche and annoying now but on the other hand it can be comforting in it's truth. As I read your list, I could relate to almost all of your hard things. I may be older but I'm human too and other than the root canal, you can see that because of Covid-19 all the following hard things are a RESULT of Covid-19. The good news is that the God and Father of our LORD is there in the hard things and He will be with us no matter how hard it gets!! You are right - He is good ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment