Being a Mom at 20 (part 1)

Being a mom is such a blessing! But it definitely comes with its pros and cons, its good and bad days. I wanted to take some time with my 3 Things Thursdays section to share some of what I think are 3 Pros and 3 Cons to being a mom at the ripe-ole age of 20.

Here I'll be sharing 3 pros to being a mom at the age of 20 and sometime in the future I plan to share 3 cons of being a young mom.

Delilah permitting of course. 😛 Everything is Delilah permitting these days.

*UPDATE*
The three cons to being a mom at the age of 20 that I came up with can be quickly and easily put:
1. Emotionally
2. Physically
3. Financially



3 Pros to Being a Mom at 20

1. Statistically more healthy
-Younger people naturally have more energy. Delilah has a play mat, bouncy seat, and baby box, all of which are ground level, but it's no problem for me to squat down to pick her up again and again. Or for me to lie on the floor next to her and play. When she's two and running all over the place, I'll be 22 and be able to run after her without getting winded.
-Us young people are able to survive on less sleep. Not too long ago I was a high school student staying up late on weekdays and heading off to school after only a couple of hours of sleep. Yes, I had grown to love and rely on my sleep while pregnant, but I've quickly adjusted to these new habits. Everyone says to sleep when the baby sleeps (seriously, I've heard it wayyy to many times), but this is one of those things I just smile and agree with. Honestly, I'll sleep when she sleeps at night, but once we hit 8am I usually am good to go for the day.  That might be subject to change, but so far that's how things are right now.

-Bonus: Delilah's grandparents have more energy too! They claim they feel too young to be grandparents, but that's perfect! I'm so thankful that Dee will have a fun relationship with her grandparents!


2. Source of immense personal growth
-Being in a committed relationship has taught me self-less love, but having a newborn has taught me self-less love on a whole different level. Delilah, as an infant, is completely incapable of doing most things. There have been many, many times when I'll have changed her diaper just to have her poop in the clean one. Yes, it can be frustrating, but it teaches patience. Our pastor told us that children are God's way of helping us see our sanctification at work. As a parent, you are able to daily see how Christ sanctifies you. That's something that has been resonating with me. Especially in the first days when I would be getting up multiple times at night with Dee.
- There is so much joy in my life, and I don't have to look for it, it's usually looking right up at me. 😊 From her sneezes, to her love for swimming, to her full-face smiles, Delilah lights up my day even when I'm having a rough time. Often times she'll snuggle into me, or smile at me so genuinely that it truly feels as though she's saying, "It's okay, Mom. You got this!"
- My spiritual life has increased so much since her birth as well. 6 weeks later, Will and I still often comment to each other how miraculous new life is. How perfect her little features are. It's such a blessing to have been entrusted to raise a child.


3. Lots of advice for my friends
-I already find myself giving relational advice to my peers. I know and understand what they're going through. By the time my friends and/or siblings are having kids I'll for sure have a toddler, maybe even a school-aged kid, we'll see how long it takes everyone to catch up. 😏




Comments