My Word for the Year

Over the past few years I've seen that it has become a trend for people to choose a word for the year. Rather than setting a goal, they'll pick one single word to encompass the upcoming year. What you need more of, what you want to focus on, or what you need to improve on.

I realize that we're now already a handful of days into February, but January just flew right past me and I haven't had a chance to post this earlier!

Typically people pick a word for the year in lieu of resolutions or goal setting, but I've set 10 goals and still wanted to pick a word. We'll have to see how this goes!

What's the Word?
Popular word choices that I've come across online have to do mostly with self-improvement or business goals. Growth, Inspire, Dream, Gratitude, Complete, Simplify, Rise, Empower, Teach, etc, etc... (Here's a list of just 100 suggestions)

My word for 2019 was Forward. I wanted to look ahead, face upward, and move forward. I didn't want to feel slow or stuck but to keep moving on to the next thing. And boy, oh boy, was 2019 ever a year of go, go, go!

Coming into 2020 I decided that my word for the year would be Priorities.

Historically priority was only used in the singular. Life was simpler in the 1600s. A priority is defined as something of top importance. Two things can’t be first. So it only made sense that it would have been singular. Then life got got busy and we as a society decided we could/should focus on more. From 1960-1990 the use of the word sky rocketed, reached its peak, but has been slowly declining over the past 25 years.

Our view of a priority is becoming less and less important. It is the social standard now that one person should be able to accomplish many things all at once. And if not, well, then they are a lesser being. 😫 Obviously.


'y' or 'ies'?
For a while I mused over whether I should use the plural or singular version. I ended up deciding that both are acceptable.

Personally, I like have multiple big focuses in my life at once. And I know a lot of other people do too. As much as it stresses me out, I thrive under the business of my crazy life. But I have also learned that it is utterly important to take a minute or three to recognize what the priority (singular) is right now, in this current moment, and to give proper attention to that item.

As I thought about it more, identifying what is the underlying reasoning behind all of my priorities, I came to the conclusion that I have one highest priority and that is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever (Westminster Catechism QA1). BUT, everything else in life is completely affected by that sole purpose and the rest of my priorities fall into place because of that single priority.

Looking ahead I want to make sure that I keep the things most meaningful to me at the forefront of everything that I do. This new year is once again a big year for Will and I with lots of things happening. I am looking forward to all of the unknowns but I also want to keep my mind on the correct order of importance.


Some Personal Notes:
I haven't exactly thought of a conclusion for this post.
I have these two bullet lists that I jotted down and wanted to include somehow in here because I use this blog as a dumping ground for my brain and I come back often to reference certain posts. If I don't leave my thoughts here I'll loose them in my head or on whatever paper I wrote them on!

What are my priorities?
•My Faith
•My Husband
•My Family
•My Well-being
•My Home
•Being Involved with Friends and My Community
•Everything Else
Things that I hope to constantly consider throughout the year are:
•Who gets my priorities?
•What are my priorities?
•Where are my priorities?
•Why are those my priorities



Comments

  1. Good post!! My phrase for this year is: Others:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment