Reminiscing 2020

If you were to ask me on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, how good the year 2020 was for me, I'd have to give it an 8.5 
Why 8.5? 
Well, let's establish what's going through my head with this scale: 
5 (an average year)
6 (a lovely year)
7 (a good year) 
8 (a great year)
8.5 (a really great year) 
9 (an amazing year) 
10 (the best year)

So yep, based on that information I would for sure give 2020 a 8.5 rating. It's so close to being a 9, but there were just a few things holding me back from a solid 9 rating. 😆

Here's some of the highlights (in chronological order) that really made this passed year something special for our family:

1. Daycare: 
In early March I ended daycare for my dear two families. It was bittersweet and I said goodbye to those kids thinking I would be seeing them all again at church each week... but little did I know church would get shut down and I'd be cut off from six kiddos who I'd grown to love over the last dozen months. It was an odd time all around, but I am so appreciative for the experiences I could share with those families and the memories we could all make together. 
Then after taking six months off I started back up again with a new family, only one kiddo this time around, but she fits right in with our beautiful chaos and we get a kick out of her character. 

The top highlight for this year would have to be our precious son joining the W Vanspronsen family in March! I've blogged lots about him, and will spare you much extra detail now. 😀 Head over to my posts from March and April 2020 for some more pictures and snippets. 

3. Will started his new job!
After being perused for a handful of months Will initially declined the job offer he had received from FVR. Then four months later he asked if they still had an opening and got hired quickly after. When he asked why they hadn't been able to fill the position he was told, "We've just been waiting for you to change your mind." 😄
He absolutely loves it there and is the happiest I've seen him in years. 

4. We found out we're getting another sibling! 
Wait!?! What!?! 
Yes!!! 
Ben is no longer the baby of the family and there is another kiddo on the way! 
How much fun is that? 
I think the first time I actually acknowledged it here was back in December. Not because I wasn't excited, but because it's not quite my news to share. But with less than two months to go now, I *think* it's okay. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Mom). And we are all very excited to have a new sibling to love on, and Delilah keeps saying "Give Nama baby hug and kiss!"
While some might view our family dynamic as different, it sure is absolutely abounding with blessings. 💛

5. Camping! 
Summer holidays always seem to come at just the right time. In the middle of two major life changes (new job and moving) it was so lovely to take time off from those big things and spend time together as a family. I was worried how tenting with a 1.5yro and a 4mo would go, but overall it went better than expected and we had lots of fun with the change of pace. 

6. We moved! And more links here, and here, and here
In August of 2020 we moved from a 1700sqft basement suite to a 550sqft apartment. Now to most that would sound like a huge downgrade, but we are thriving in our new home and there has been absolutely no looking back! We love the community in our complex, our placement within the city, and we are within walking distance from our church, several stores and playgrounds, and my parents house. 

7. We bought the Toyota! 
When I asked Will what his highlights for the year were buying our 4Runner made the cut for his top 5. And as beastly as it is, I'll have to admit that it definitely has made our family's top 10 list too. This truck has taken us on two beautiful explorations (Check out my post on the Thurston Loop) and Will and I are both excited to see what adventures it'll bring us in 2021! 

Our Christmas celebrations this year were scaled back from what they have been in years past, but although things were different, we enjoyed a very gezellig time with our close families. It was Little William's first Christmas and the first Christmas that Delilah was old enough to begin to understand what was happening and what it was all about. 

9.Watching Our Family Grow Up
Oh, if you could be a fly on our wall for a day! Never a dull moment, unless I bring the kiddos off to their grandparents so I can get some errands or housework done! 😆 
Both Will and I have loved watching Delilah grow this past year. She started off 2020 juuust having learned how to walk, now she is running and jumping everywhere. She talks All. The Time. She especially loves these phrases: "Oh, what happened?" "What you doing?" "Let's figure it out" "Good job, _____!" 
And Little William! He wasn't even external at the start of the year and he ended it at a whopping 35lbs, crawling, standing, and is a complete bulldozer. 
And as we closed out the year Will and I were blessed to celebrate three years of married life and reminisce seven whole years together! What a blessing. 

10. We helped a lot of people! 
Despite being caught in the middle of this pandemic, with rules that can be very challenging to build a community around, in this past year Will and I have been the most active we've been in serving those around us. We have been able to volunteer for different events, bring homecooked meals to families, and be there for young couples needing to talk through things. It sure is something special to be able to spread the light of Christ to our neighbours! 




Comments